Sunday, December 9, 2007

High School Musical...India Style

The other day my coworker invited me to attend a play. I hadn’t yet experienced much of Bangalore’s art scene, so I thought I would give it a shot. I didn’t even bother to ask any details about the show since I was really craving a little culture.

As I sat down in my upper-balcony seat at St. John’s Auditorium anxiously awaiting the orchestra to strike their first note and the curtains to open, the thought went through my mind that I was about to witness some of the best material for a blog post since coming to India. Why, you may ask? Because as it turned out, I was about to see a Bangalore High School’s performance of “Yo Sista,” an adaptation of Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit. Armed with my canon powershot (yes, it has video taking capability), I was prepared to fully document the 200+ cast of kids singing dancing, and of course, rapping.

Okay, so there was no pit orchestra and the curtain was broken, but there was a synthesized soundtrack and some sweet sets. They were nothing though compared to the pure entertainment that the kids provided. The nuns and priests knew how to shake it, and the cast of students did their best to replicate the American ghetto’s lexicon and fashion style.

All of this was much funnier, of course, because I went to see this play completely unaware that it was a high school production. So, if you can ignore my unsteady hand, sit back, relax, and enjoy a little taste of Indian theater at its best.

3 comments:

Sunoop Sini Thomas, Bangalore, India said...

thank u for posting the videos....
do u hv anymore videos...

Tania A said...

This was great! haha...although now my head is spinning from the unsteady hand!

NA said...

jim, you need to introduce them to the wonder that is an AIR BAND!