Thursday, February 7, 2008

Five Months Down, Five To Go

For the few of you (mom) who actually read my blog on a regular basis, you may have noticed the recent month-long break in blog entries. I know that heatandbeat.blogspot.com is on your morning rotation of websites that you check—right after CNN, NYTIMES, and Facebook-- so I apologize for keeping you waiting.

I took the month off to reflect on my time here, reestablish a routine after several spurts of travel, and wait for something really interesting to blog about (more on that in my next entry about my friend’s recent visit and trip to Kerala).

I should point out that last week I passed the halfway point of my fellowship (that’s right, I’ve been living in India for just over five months now). Its strange, because part of me feels like I’ve been here an eternity and that all I want to do is feel the tires jolt on the tarmac of JFK so that I can run into the airport and kiss the ground and then go and buy a bacon, egg, and cheese on a sesame bagel (not that I’ve dreamed about the moment or anything).

But then there is a whole other side of me that feels like the personal and professional development that I had hoped to gain are just getting started. The other day I was talking to Dad on the phone and I mentioned how things were feeling boring because life feels normal now. He was shocked to hear this, and after thinking about it, I was shocked that I had said it. I spent two and a half years trying to figure out a way to gain microfinance field experience in a developing country because life in D.C. felt boring. Now just 5 months after my “dream” came true, I’m finding myself right back where I started.

This got me thinking: Just because everyday life isn’t exciting, is it necessarily boring?

By all accounts my life isn’t boring. Take work for example. My projects are so interesting and new, and I have so much freedom, all while being surrounded by the vast knowledge and experience of my colleagues. I’m spending at least one day a week in the field, which is incredibly energizing and inspiring. The field staff work so hard and are so committed, yet approach their job casually, as if they aren’t working long hours doing admirable work each day. Even more heroic are our customers. Their workdays practically never end, their family life is arduous (to say the least), and they have to manage all family expenses on the tightest of budgets. If even one of these areas of my life were as difficult as our customers have it, I’d probably throw the towel in the bucket and call it quits.

So no, work isn’t boring. Its exciting, and inspiring, and educational, and a chance to make an impact that feels more tangible than in the past.

If I were to look at my life outside of work, I suppose I would conclude that things aren’t exactly boring there either. Since coming to India I feel like my imagination and creativity are at all time highs. I’m always coming up with big ideas, or thinking of new paths to take in life. In addition, I’ve made a pretty major decision (to pursue an MBA) and have taken the first step (studying for the GMAT) towards making it happen. It’s weird, because without even realizing it, I figured out part of the next phase in my life. I’ve gone for years at a time brainstorming to figure out what I want to do next and still come up empty handed. I wasn’t even trying to figure out a next big step, when all of the sudden I decided that I wanted to go for an MBA. I think that the entrepreneurial spirit of our customers, as well as all of the innovation and growth happening in India is sparking new energy from within.

Now that I’ve established that my life here is, in fact, not boring, I should get back to my blogging hiatus. The month away from the blogosphere also coincided with a brief reprise from my yoga practice. This was largely to save money, since my membership ran out and I had a lot of plans for travel. However, it had two side benefits. First, I started running, which always feels good to do, and second, I’m now more excited about getting back into yoga.

So there you have it. Get ready for lots of interesting things to come. I plan to continue focusing on my travel and quirky stories of life in India, but also bring some focus to the real reason I am here—work. I’d like to share more observations and experiences from my job, and also focus on broader topics like relevant literature I’m reading, other fellow’s experiences, and interesting people I meet. Until then…have a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich for me!

1 comment:

SHiNE said...

I was commented to Naina just this evening how I feel very comfortable in Delhi. Strange how we can be in a place that formerly seemed so exotic and yet . . . Those times of hardship settling in lend themselves to heightened senses and then there's the everyday life that defines what we do with all with which we're blessed.