Sunday, March 23, 2008

Things I don't want to forget...

There are a few things that I want to be sure to remember about my time here and since this blog is equally a way for me to keep track of my time in India as it is a way for me to keep in touch with others, I’m going to write about a few random things.

1) Yesterday while driving to one of our branches traffic slowed, and I noticed a crowd had developed on the side of the road. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but felt compelled to take a look at what everyone was gathering around. Sadly, and to my horror, it was a man that had fallen off of his motorcycle. I saw his blood and guts hanging out of his broken skull and immediately felt sick. I was angry that he wasn’t wearing a helmet, and that there wasn’t an ambulance there to help him. Death is so much more visible here and dealt with and processed in a different way. It is difficult for me to understand or get used to death being a part of life. I’ve witnessed it on multiple occasions here in a much more first hand way than ever before. Sadly, I’m learning to just desensitize myself to it.

2) Throughout our AIF orientation, safety was a major topic. There was considerable discussion about remaining safe while in an auto rickshaw. “Don’t stick your arms, legs, butt, or head out of the side of an auto”, “Beware of drunk auto drivers,” they told us.

Well just as taking autos is a fact of life in India, so is occasionally sticking your butt out of the side of one or encountering an inebriated driver. The other night, I was suspicious of my driver’s sobriety, so I asked him to pull over a few seconds after departing. He was confused and trying to get me back in the auto. I asked one of the other guys he was with if they had been drinking and he very soberly said no. My auto driver then caught on and began insisting that he wasn’t drinking. I decided to trust him. The rest of the ride went perfectly. He was probably one of the best and most careful drivers I’ve had. When he dropped me at my apartment he began apologizing and telling me that he would never drink when he was working. I felt, and still feel absolutely terrible for making that assumption. I know that safety is important, and that I did the right thing by being cautious, but its unfortunate that he falls victim to the stereotypes of his fellow auto drivers.

3) Everyone knows that cows are considered holy in India. I’ve learned to embrace this, as they are literally a part of my everyday life. In fact, I’ve grown so comfortable with the cows on the streets of Bangalore that I’ve begun to recognize some of the local ones, and have even established a favorite, who coincidentally is also lucky. That’s right, one of the cows in my neighborhood brings me good luck whenever I see him. I recognize him by his horns, which curve in two different directions (one down and around his ear and the other straight back). It really brightens my day when I see him. Passersby probably notice a change in the beat of my step when my eyes catch a glimpse of him.

4) Related to cows, I recently learned of the many medicinal and household benefits of cow urine and manure. These include face wash, hair conditioner, and a general household cleaning agent for floors and countertops (watch out Mr. Clean). Please note; the cow’s first pee of the morning is much more valuable/nutritious/powerful then the rest, so you better wake up early if you want the good stuff.

No comments: